Student Absenteeism and Illness
The School Education Act requires that all school age (6 - 17 years) children attend school each day of the school year.
Parents/carers are required to notify the school if their child will be absent or late prior to the commencement of the school day (8:50 am).
How to Notify the School:
- Come in to the school office before school starts.
- Phone the Office on 9583 2428 no later than 9:30 am.
- Contact the teacher directly (only if the teacher makes this information available).
- Send in a written note (see below) - forms are included in the school enrolment package; however any legible and signed note will suffice provided the details listed below are included.
- Send an email (see below) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- See Contacts page for the school's address.
A written note can be sent in with a sibling, or can be brought in on the first day a student returns to school after absence. A written note must contain the following information -
- Student name
- Student room number
- Dates student did not attend school
- Number of school days missed
- Reason for absence. If because of illness, describe the nature of the illness.
- SIGNATURE of the parent/carer
The same details are required as for the written note (above), except for the following:
- The sender's name shall be clearly stated in the email;
- A scanned signature may be inserted but is not compulsory; and
- Only emails from family members or carers will be accepted as legitimate notification of absence.
School Follow-Up and Obligations:
The school seeks to minimise any concerns with the home-to-school movement of students. If we have not heard from a parent/carer and a student does not arrive at school, a phone call will be made to the contact person listed on the school enrolment form to seek an explanation.
It is vital to immediately inform the school if your contact details change.
Frequent, unexplained absences will be referred to the District Attendance Coordinator at District Office.