Enrolment and Immunisation
From 22 July 2019, Section 141D of the Public Health Act 2016 requires schools to only enrol a Kindergarten student who provides acceptable evidence of immunisation status, or who is eligible to enrol as an exempt child because of particular family circumstances. The revised policy also makes provision for the recording of immunisation and Medicare information for all K-12 students.
The following information has been provided by the WA Department of Education. The changes are effective immediately and relate to new enrolments from Term 3, 2019 and also enrolments being processed for the 2020 school year.
No Jab No Play – Kindergarten enrolment
- On enrolment in Kindergarten, a child must now have either:
- an Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) Immunisation History Statement, no more than two months old with a status of ‘up to date’; or
- an AIR Immunisation History Form, no more than six months old, if the child is on a catch up schedule; or
- a valid immunisation certificate issued or declared by the Chief Health Officer.
- where a child does not have an ‘up to date’ Immunisation History Statement, exemptions because of particular family circumstances may apply. These exemptions are approved by the principal.
- where a child enrolling has a Medicare number available it should be recorded at the time of enrolment.
Pre-primary to Year 12 enrolments
- the immunisation status of all children enrolling in the compulsory years of school (Pre-primary to Year 12) must be recorded
- no statement provided – record as ‘not up to date’ and leave the date and evidence field blank; or
- statement provided with a status of ‘up to date’ – record as ‘up to date’ and date checked; or
- statement provided with a status of ‘not up to date’ – record as ‘not up to date’ and date checked.
- new changes require that where a child enrolling in school (K-12) has a Medicare number available it should be recorded at the time of enrolment.
An information flyer providing information for parents is available for download: IMMUNISATION SUPPORT FOR YOUR CHILD