The following information and links are provided for the benefit of the whole school community. While we endeavour to keep this webpage up to date your willingness to notify the school of outdated items, link issues and possible sites for inclusion will be appreciated.
Forward preparation for travel is essential. When travelling by plane, a good part of your trip is spent at airports. In fact, on many trips you spend more time at an airport than you do flying. When traveling with a child who has special needs every step you take needs to be very carefully planned.
Both QANTAS and Virgin Australia offer discounts for domestic travel for travelling companions of the disabled. More details are available by clicking here.
- Website: travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/international/special_needs.aspx (Provides information to help passengers with special needs get through security checks as easily and as smoothly as possible.)
The following websites listed are from U.S. sources but have application to special needs travel globally:
- Website: www.friendshipcircle.org/blog/2012/05/03/airports-and-special-needs-travel-a-complete-guide/
- Website: www.insurancewith.com/travelling-with-a-medical-condition/travelling-abroad-with-a-disability/
The Asthma Foundation WA was founded in 1964 from the personal concern of a group of dedicated people, with the aim to help West Australians affected by asthma. The Foundation offers a range of information and training courses for parents/caregivers and/or your child.
- Tel: 1800 278 462
- Website: www.asthmaaustralia.org.au/wa/home
Empowering Children to Change the World - the future of global hygiene is now in the hands of our children. The foundation has a mandate to see that all children in the world have access to soap and water at critical times. Its aim is to empower children to become the face and the voice of the foundation influencing communities around the world to increase hand hygiene compliance in all settings.
- Tel: 0418 938 360 | Fax: 08 9285 2694
- Website: childrensglobalhygienefoundation.org
- Office: 5A Samson St, Mosman Park 6012
The City of Mandurah website has a wealth of information for residents, including a webpage on the events and festivals that offer activities for children. City Kids is the City of Mandurah's very own FREE school holiday club for children of all ages.
- Tel: (08) 9550 3777
- Website: www.mandurah.wa.gov.au
- Office: 3 Peel Street, Mandurah
Clan WA will strengthen family life by encouraging healthy relationships, effective parenting, support networks and community participation.
- Tel: (08) 9581 5595 - Mandurah Office
- Website: www.clanwa.com.au
- Location: Lotteries House, Suite 14, Anzac Place, Mandurah
Job Services Australia is a federally funded program designed to increase employment participation, play a greater role in addressing skills shortages and to assist individual job seekers, particularly disadvantaged job seekers to obtain sustainable employment.
Personal Helpers and Mentors Program is a free service that supports people 16 years and over whose lives are affected by a mental illness. (An Australian Government funded initiative as part of its National Action Plan on Mental Health 2006-2011)
- Peel Region - Mandurah Office Tel: (08) 9581 9215
- Website: www.cfi.net.au
The Australian Government’s Cybersafety Help Button provides internet users, particularly children and young people, with easy online access to cyber safety information and assistance available in Australia. It offers counselling, reporting and educational resources to assist young people deal with online risks including cyber bullying, unwanted contact, scams and fraud, and offensive or inappropriate material.
The help button is a free application that is easily downloaded onto personal computers, mobile devices, and school and library networks. Click here.
Daisy is an app that connects women to a wide range of specialist services. In partnership with the Australian government, 1800RESPECT has developed Daisy to connect women who are experiencing, or have experienced, sexual assault, domestic and family violence to support services in their state and local area.
By downloading Daisy women can:
- Access local services: navigate specialist sexual assault, domestic and family violence services or other relevant support services by state and local area.
- Get help fast: call through quickly to 000 in emergency situations when a woman needs help.
- Read information privately: with a 'Quick Exit' button that allows quick exit from the screen.
- 'SMS a friend' & 'text to voice': additional functionality supports rural women to SMS a friend when police are not the first response.
To best understand the full range of services and applications that Daisy offers we invite you to download Daisy to your own smart phone.
Specialist centres and schools are available for children with high support needs where parents are seeking an alternative to their local school. Riverside Education Support Centre is one of these centres.
The DET Schools and You website provides information about school requirements and expectations in general.
DSC's "Count Me In" has a vision that ‘All people live in welcoming communities that facilitate citizenship, friendship, mutual support and a fair go for everyone’.
The vision is achieved through three areas of focus:
- economic security and well-designed and accessible communities and homes;
- participation and contribution for people with disability in all aspects of life; and
- the provision of personalised supports and services which are innovative, flexible, and person-centred.
- Tel DSC: (08) 9426 9200 or 1800 998 214
- Tel LAC: (08) 9426 9352 or 1800 998 214
Sustainability education to help save money …and the planet! This is a great locally developed resource to help you live in an ecologically sound way.
- Tel: 0411 44 93 44 - Natalie Scott
- Website: ecostarconsulting.com.au
Fairbridge Western Australia Inc., located just 5 minutes from Pinjarra and 20 minutes from Mandurah, is widely recognised for its work as a youth charity organisation. It runs a myriad of programs and services for young people, including children with a disability. It helps young people reach their full potential and brings about long term positive sustainable changes in their lives.
One of these programs has been created to promote fellowship, awareness, inclusion and relaxation - the F.A.I.R. Program - for families who have a member with a disability. A series of weekend programs are held at Fairbridge throughout the year to help break down barriers, build up connections and networks for these families.
- For more information about the FAIR program contact Diana on 0408 375 051
- Tel: (08) 9531 1177
- Website: www.fairbridge.asn.au
The Garden-to-Plate Project provides workshops related to healthy eating habits, portion sizes, reading food labels, budgeting skills, cooking sessions, how to grow vegies in sandy Mandurah soils, composting and more.
It is part of Foodbank WA [http://www.foodbankwa.org.au/], a non-denominational, non-profit organisation which acts as a pantry to the charities and community groups who feed the hungry.
A Social Enterprise dedicated to protecting and enhancing the Mental Health and Wellbeing of Young People and their Community. Includes a 5-step guide for parents concerned about their child's use of meth (ice).
headspace Mandurah, which opened Jul;y 5, 2018 in Mandurah, is a free and confidential service that helps young people aged 12-25 with health and wellbeing. Friendly, respectful and non-judgemental staff can help out if you have been:
- Feeling depressed or anxious
- Not sleeping well or sleeping too much
- Wanting to cut down your drinking or drug use
- Bullied, hurt or sexually harassed
- Feeling like you are not coping
- Having problems with family, relationships, school or work
- Want to talk about sexuality, identity or relationships
headspace Mandurah is operated by 360 Health + Community Ltd. All headspace centres are funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Administration of funding is carried out by the headspace centre’s local Primary Health Network, in this case, WA Primary Health Alliance Limited (WAPHA).
- Web: https://headspace.org.au/headspace-centres/mandurah/
- Unit 10, 3 Dower Street, Mandurah, Western Australia 6210 - address will change later in 2018
- Tel: (08) 6595 8990
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For crisis assistance, contact Lifeline on 13 11 14, Kids Help Line 1800 55 1800, Mental Health Emergency Response Line on 1300 555 788 or dial 000.
The Independent Living Centres Australia (ILCA) is a collective organisation with members in each Australian states and the ACT. The ILCA’s role is to advance a federal agenda on issues and needs at a national level. The ILCA also provides information and advice to government and policymakers and raises awareness of the role assistive technology plays in maintaining health and wellbeing in the Australian community.
Tel: (08) 9381 0600 or 1300 885 886 (Cost of a local call within Western Australia)
- WA Website: www.ilcaustralia.org/home/wa.asp
The Government of WA Drug and Alcohol Office has produced a booklet designed for parents, family members and other carers who are concerned that their young person could be using inhalants. It discusses what inhalants are, the effects and harms and why people choose to use them. It also discusses what could be helpful and places to go for more information and assistance.
Under Strong Spirit Strong Mind, a similar booklet is also available for Aboriginal families.
Both booklets are recommended for reading by parents and carers only.
Interchange WA provides personalised life experiences for people with disabilities who can't maintain regular, prolonged employment or post-school study.
- Mandurah Office: 56 Mandurah Terrace, Mandurah 6210
- Peel Manager: Fred Lawson
- Tel.: (08) 9527 4077
- Website: interchangewa.org.au/
Formerly the 'Career Enterprise Centre', the college officially changes its name at the start of 2016. The ESC is an educational support facility catering for students who have intellectual, physical, social and psychological disabilities, through the provision of Year 11, Year 12 and Year 13 classes. All courses are tailored to meet students' individual educational, social, and emotional needs and to prepare them for life beyond school. We are located at the Peel Education and Training Campus on Education Drive in Mandurah.
Peel Districts Little Athletics strives for one main goal -- 'Family, Fun & Fitness'. There are four Clubs that are run within the Centre: North Mandurah, Mandurah, South Mandurah (Jaguars) and Murray. The centre has been running since 1978. There is a lot of talent here in Peel and our centre is often represented at State Events.
Some have even made it to International Competitions and the Olympics too.
2017 rgistrations open online 2nd September - go to www.peeldistrictslac.com/apps/blog/show/44711856-registrations-open-online-sat-2nd-sept
MAN is a not-for-profit health promotion charity for male health and wellbeing that has been active in Western Australia for over 13 years. MAN works with providers, business groups and individuals to improve the health and wellbeing of all males, at work, at home and at play.
• Location: Claisebrook Lotteries House, 33 Moore Street, EAST PERTH WA 6004
• Tel: (08) 9218 8044
• Website: www.man.org.au/
Trained parenting consultants offer information, advice, support and a referral service to parents and families with children up to 18 years. They can also link families with local support organisations, self-help groups and provide information on courses.
• Tel: (08) 6279 1200 or 1800 654 432
• Email: email@example.com
• Website: www.communities.wa.gov.au/communities-in-focus/parenting_and_children/parentingwa/Pages/default.aspx
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/ParentingWA
The Rivers Regional Council (RRC), created under the Local Government Act 1995, makes decisions relating to strategic waste management issues. The Regional Council currently employs a full-time Chief Executive Officer, Administration Officer and Education Coordinator.
The Education Officer works closely with the Department and Environment and Conservation's 'Waste Wise Schools Program' and Cleanaway's 'Recover Recycle Reuse' program to ensure all schools within the Region integrate waste avoidance and resource recovery education into the school curriculum.
Riverside PS and Riverside ESC operate as an integrated campus in Greenfields, Mandurah, sharing the same uniform, school facilities and many programs.
• Tel: (08) 9534 0300
• Website: riversideps.wa.edu.au/
The following page provides information and tips on using social networking sites safely, dealing with cyber bullying and online grooming and how to secure your mobile phone.
The Cyber Security Section at the Australian Government Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy is responsible for managing the Stay Smart Online website.
VacSwim gives all Western Australians the opportunity to participate in a safe, quality swimming and water safety program. 2018 enrolments are now open.
With swimming pools and beaches a part of our Western Australian lifestyle, ensuring your child can swim competently and safely is a must for all families. VacSwim is for children from beginner through to advanced survival, rescue and resuscitation.
Your child can join in the fun of learning to swim with lessons priced for affordability.
- Programs and prices: http://det.wa.edu.au/curriculumsupport/swimming/detcms/portal/
- Tel: (08) 9402 6412
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org